2021 Hurricane Season
As we get ready to enter into hurricane season, we want to make sure our community is well prepared and informed of what to do in case the storms get way out of hand. To ensure you and your loved ones are safe during this upcoming storm season, read along for these tips on what to do to be storm safe:
- Know Your Risks: One the most important things you can do is understand how susceptible your area is to hurricane weather. Being informed pf the likelihood of how a hurricane can affect your area by keeping up to date with weather announcement and local and governments
- Build an Emergency Kit: This one sounds simple, but it is often overlooked. Keeping an emergency kit that is stocked with water, canned foods, non perishables, and comfort items such as blankets and toys could be the difference between a disaster and an inconvenience.
- Review And Gather Documents: Review your policies ahead of time to see what is covered and if flood insurance is available to you. Gather important documents such as insurance policies, IDs, birth certificates, deeds, or even sentimental documents and keep them in a fireproof and waterproof safe.
- Be Informed: Knowing where to go and who to call is key to staying safe. Having an evacuation plan in place in the event of a disaster ensure members of your household know what to do in case home isn’t the safest place to be. Have a planned route and an alternate route to get to a safe place away from the storm.
- Strengthen Your Home: Taking a look around your property to see if you are vulnerable in the event of a hurricane is a key factor in minimizing your risk of damage. By looking for vulnerable areas, you’ll be able to address them and fortify and susceptible areas around the home or property.
Implementing these tips will help you face this hurricane season and minimize the risk of your property being a victim of the elements. Keep SERVPRO of Hattiesburg in mind for all your storm damage restoration needs.
Surviving the Flood
We live in a world where mother nature has a mind of her own at times, and natural disaster can strike at anytime and can ruin the normal flow of life we once had. The nice furniture, flooring, and decor that once occupied our home, now washed away by water. Whether the flooding that has occurred in your home was because of a pipe bursting, a sewer backup, faulty appliance, a heavy rain or even rising floodwaters, there are important steps you should take in order to keep you and your family safe.
After any water damage situation, your primary focus should be safety:
- Is it safe to stay in the house?
- Electrical and "slip and fall" hazards are some of the most prevalent concerns.
- Only do activities that are safe for you to perform.
- Wet materials can be VERY heavy. Be careful!
You and your family may not even be thinking about flooding, but rather tornado damage or hurricane damage. But with any severe storm or rain there is always a chance of flooding. And even appliances can cause flooding. Here at SERVPRO® of Hattiesburg we want you to be as prepared and safe as possible, therefore we put together some do and don'ts to put into practice after you have encountered flooding within your home.
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.
- Do not panic, take a breath and understand that although today feels like the worst day ever. Things WILL get better.
- Keep safety always at the forefront of your mind (stop the water source, shut all electricity off, etc.)
- Call SERVPRO in order to get things clean, dry and back to beautiful as quickly as possible.
- 24-Hour Emergency Service
- Faster to Any Size Disaster
- Highly Trained Water Restoration Technicians
- A Trusted Leader in the Water Restoration Industry
- Locally Owned and Operated
- Advanced Water Inspection, Extraction, and Drying Equipment
Customer Safety is Important to Us!
At SERVPRO of Hattiesburg, we believe taking care of our customers is about more than just completing the job. It is about how you do that job, what tools you use and going that "extra mile". One way in which we go that "extra mile" is by making customer safety a top priority. This may require added costs or additional resources, but we truly believe that there are no shortcuts when it comes to providing exceptional service for our customers. Here are some extra steps we take to ensure the highest level of safety for our customers on every job site:
- Products - We believe in using the safest "green" products available.
- Benefect is a botanical, plant based, hospital grade disinfecting solution that poses no health hazards to humans or animals.
- Training and Certification - Our technicians undergo rigorous training to ensure that they utilize proper techniques to ensure safe environments for our crews and our customers.
- IICRC Certification - our team holds a total of 31 certifications across the board
- OSHA 10 and OSHA 30 Certification
- Protocols and Standards
- Proper Containment
- Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned
- Proper disposal of biohazard waste
If you need service, you can reach SERVPRO of Hattiesburg at 601-544-0512 or 228-467-4450. 24 hours a day, 365 days a year…because disasters don’t wait!
2021 Fire Pit Safety
Warmer temperatures and longer days are finally upon us!
This time of year is one of the best because it’s finally time to gather around the fire pit and enjoy time with friends and family. We know this is a great way to gather in the backyard during the warmer months. Burgers on the grill, drinks in hand, and some background music is a sure way to have everyone in a good mood. Here are some quick and simple fire pit safety tips to keep the fire bright and the mood light:
1. Clear all flammable materials away from your fire pit. Make sure it’s kept 10 feet away from the home or building.
2. Pile dirt or rocks to keep the fire on the ground from escaping
3. Before lighting your fire, check the wind direction. If it’s too windy, do not light your fire pit as the wind can cause the flames to travel.
4. Contrary to popular belief, lighting fluid is not safe for lighting a fire pit. Use a commercial fire starter kick with kindling on top.
5. Once the fire pit is lit, never leave it unattended and never leave children or pets near the fire pit without adult supervision.
6. Avoid softwoods like pine or cedar to prevent flying sparks and flame “pops”,
7. Only put enough fuel to keep the fire burning gently to prevent flare-ups and uncontrollable flames.
8. To extinguish the flames, use water to drown out the fire and stir it with a shovel to make sure it’s fully extinguished. Use the shovel to extinguish any escaped flames as well
9. Dispose of the ashes in a metal can use only for fire pit ash storage. Careful, even after a few days the ashes are still hot enough to cause a fire.
10. Accidents happen, even with the correct preventative measures taken. Having a fire extinguisher nearby can greatly reduce the risk of the fire getting out of control.
If you have fire damage in your Hattiesburg/ MS Gulf Coast property, give us a call at 601-544-0512 or 228-467-4450! We are here 24/7 365 days to service the Greater Hattiesburg area and parts of the Mississippi Gulf Coast!
Why Choose SERVPRO of Hattiesburg?
For over 5 decades, the name SERVPRO has been associated with remediation and restoration excellence. We have led the industry in innovation and customer satisfaction. We follow all IICRC standards and make sure our highly trained team is always up to date in all certification areas. IICRC sets the high standards for the cleaning and restoration industries. Many people ask, “What does it mean to be an IICRC certified firm?” It means here at SERVPRO of Hattiesburg, we strictly follow and enforce the latest and best industry practices and standards! SERVPRO of Hattiesburg is the trusted choice in Hattiesburg and parts of the MS Gulf Coast when something unexpected happens. You can trust that each of our team members are highly trained with the proper knowledge and tools to effectively complete the job.
From weekly Training Sessions to ongoing certification classes opportunities throughout the year, our employees are continuously strengthening their knowledge. In times of disaster and crisis, it is critically important to choose a company who will not only get the job done, but done correctly. This expertise helps us to offer confident and thorough recovery efforts, but also helps to push our entire team to exceed the expectations of home and business owners throughout our community.
Give us a call today if you need services in Hattiesburg or the MS Gulf Coast area! 601-544-0512 or 228-467-4450
2021 Tornado Season, Are You Ready?
March is the beginning of Spring Tornado Season that runs until the end of May. Tornadoes are terrifying and can be devastating events in our communities. Damage caused by tornadoes to your home or office can be overwhelming, but the recovery process of where to even start can be a dauting task. However, there are steps that you can take towards recovery and our teams at SERVPRO of Hattiesburg are ready to help along the way. There are steps that should be taken right after the storm passes, and other steps to take down the road when it is time for repairs and cleaning.
- Protect your family and loved ones
- Protect your various properties
- The clean up, recovery and repair
Now is the perfect time, to double check your Emergency Safety Kits. Fresh Batteries, working flashlights, portable weather radio and copies of current insurance policies are important items and documents to have readily available in a commonly know spot in your home or office.
No matter what the weather challenges us with this Spring, SERVPRO of Hattiesburg is here and ready to help you with every step of the way. We are available 24/7 and we will make it "Like it never even happened."
5 Safety Tips for Cold Weather
Too many homes suffer from fire damage that could have been prevented with just a little foresight and planning. In order to help you keep your family safe from fire during the cold weather days, here are 5 of the most important Winter Fire Safety Tips you should act on:
Check Your Smoke Alarms
Ideally, you would have checked your smoke alarm batteries when the clocks changed. But now is the season when it might actually make a difference, so make sure that your batteries are good for the winter.
Also, there should be smoke alarms in every bedroom plus the kitchen and laundry room at bare minimum. Make sure you have enough smoke alarms strategically placed all around your home.
Inspect Your Chimney
If you use a fireplace, you should know that they can produce creosote, which is a flammable substance.
If your family likes to light fires in the fireplace, you should get an annual chimney inspection to ensure there are no fire hazards.
And don’t forget to use dry, seasoned wood, which will give you bright flames with less smoke. Excess smoke could lead to smoke damage.
Always Use a Screen for Your Fireplace
Whether you prefer a metal screen or a screen of tempered glass, you want to make sure to protect against any sparks that might otherwise stray from the fireplace.
Even with a screen in place, be sure to keep curious children and pets safely away from the fireplace. Also, any potentially flammable fabrics or materials should be kept at least three feet away from a lit fire.
Maintain Your Furnace
Typically, it’s a good idea to invest in an annual inspection from a professional. They can check your system for the signs of wear and tear or potential damage that could lead to furnace problems.
Use Candles and Space Heaters with Caution
Candle create a lovely atmosphere and may even provide extra light on the darkest of days. Make sure, however, they are placed securely where they won’t get knocked over, as well as safe out of the reach of young children and pets.
And don’t forget to blow them out when you leave the room!
Similarly, with space heaters, you want to make sure to keep sufficient clear space around them (typically at least 3 feet all the way around) to prevent a potential fire hazard. Make sure the heater you use has an automatic shut-off switch so that its internal mechanisms won’t overheat.
And make sure to turn it off before you go to sleep or move to a different room!
Here at SERVPRO of Hattiesburg, we want to help keep you safe from a possible fire damage. We’re known not only for our reliability and expertise as a professional restoration and cleaning services provider, but people love us for our friendly customer service too.
For help with Fire Damage cleanup and restoration, you can give us a call any time 24/7. 601-544-0512 or 228-467-4450
Issues from Water Intrusion in the Commercial Environment
Many commercial structures have a larger volume water entering the premises through plumbing supply lines, and at a higher water pressure. The quantity of outgoing sewage is also greater than a typical residence. Commercial buildings tend to be of larger square footage than a home, so entry points for water intrusion through areas like the roof, exterior walls or windows are greater in number.
Water intrusion in commercial buildings can damage high-value equipment like computers and building services such as HVAC, lighting, elevators and security equipment. Common long-term consequences of water damage; like the growth of potentially toxic mold, may be even more problematic than in a home due to the larger occupancy of a business or commercial enterprise. When a greater number of people with a wider range of sensitivity are exposed to mold and bacteria spores, health effects may be significantly magnified, perhaps leading to an enforced closure of the facility until the situation is fully remediated.
Typical issues from water intrusion in the commercial environment include:
- Water from roof leaks penetrating through ceilings. Chronic leakage through the roof may proceed unnoticed for long periods, hidden by suspended ceiling panels or in electrical or HVAC service areas above.
- Ruptures of water supply lines typically release clean (white) water. Sewage backups or leaks in drain pipes release toxic (black) water that may be a biohazard and require evacuation of the premises.
- Flooding from external sources can result from heavy rains, storms such as hurricanes, rapid snow melt or local overflowing lakes or rivers.
- Moisture intrusion through the building envelope is typically more subtle. Humid outdoor air may be drawn in through structural cracks and gaps. Over a period, chronic dampness forms in spaces like wall voids, unventilated attics and service areas, spawning hidden mold growth that persists unseen.
For professional remediation of water intrusion in commercial buildings and secondary damage such as mold growth, contact SERVPRO of Hattiesburg! We service the Hattiesburg and MS Gulf Coast area! 601-544-0512 or 228-467-4450
The Emergency Ready Profile (ERP) System is Designed with Business Owners in Mind
Your commercial property is always at risk of being damaged by natural elements and disasters. If your business gets hit by a disaster, you’ll need a commercial restoration company with the proper training, experience and resources to return your property to “Like it never even happened.”
We are faster to any disaster and use advanced technology to take care of any commercial restoration need.
SERVPRO of Hattiesburg technicians first identify the extent of the problem, and then work with care and sensitivity to rescue and restore the area to normal conditions. We understand that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
The SERVPRO Emergency Ready Profile (ERP) system exists to help you get emergency mitigation services to your business as fast as possible after a disaster. The ERP system is designed with business owners in mind and allows you to upload relevant documents, information, and building layouts that help our technicians react fast and control the situation better than if you had placed a standard phone call. The ERP system is free to use and has an official mobile app to allow you to call for help at the touch of a button.
If you are preparing for a disaster or recovering from one we can help!
Call us at 601-544-0512 or 228-467-4450
As experts in deodorization, SERVPRO of Hattiesburg is trained to eliminate smoke odors in your Hattiesburg/MS Gulf Coast home.
Fires can be especially devastating to your home or business. After the fire trucks leave, your property will likely suffer from not only fire and smoke damage, but also widespread water damage and flooding from firefighting efforts. SERVPRO of Hattiesburg have specialized in fire and water damage restoration training and experience to quickly clean up and restore your home to pre-fire condition. They also can remove the pervasive smoke odor by doing Thermal fogging.
What is Thermal fogging?
A Hand held devise that takes a liquid and converts it to steam/fog. The technicians move around the structure with the devise to “fog” all areas affected by smoke and smoke odors to neutralize odors.
Thermal fogging is an effective smoke odor removal procedure because it recreates the fire related properties of heat and pressurization. Porous material pick up thermally activated deodorant droplets in the same manner in which they picked up the smoke odors, closely duplicating what occurs during a fire.
Some jobs are best left to the professionals, call SERVPRO of Hattiesburg for any questions or to schedule services. 601-544-0512