2021 Fire Pit Safety
Warmer temperatures and longer days are finally upon us!
This time of year is one of the best because it’s finally time to gather around the fire pit and enjoy time with friends and family. We know this is a great way to gather in the backyard during the warmer months. Burgers on the grill, drinks in hand, and some background music is a sure way to have everyone in a good mood. Here are some quick and simple fire pit safety tips to keep the fire bright and the mood light:
1. Clear all flammable materials away from your fire pit. Make sure it’s kept 10 feet away from the home or building.
2. Pile dirt or rocks to keep the fire on the ground from escaping
3. Before lighting your fire, check the wind direction. If it’s too windy, do not light your fire pit as the wind can cause the flames to travel.
4. Contrary to popular belief, lighting fluid is not safe for lighting a fire pit. Use a commercial fire starter kick with kindling on top.
5. Once the fire pit is lit, never leave it unattended and never leave children or pets near the fire pit without adult supervision.
6. Avoid softwoods like pine or cedar to prevent flying sparks and flame “pops”,
7. Only put enough fuel to keep the fire burning gently to prevent flare-ups and uncontrollable flames.
8. To extinguish the flames, use water to drown out the fire and stir it with a shovel to make sure it’s fully extinguished. Use the shovel to extinguish any escaped flames as well
9. Dispose of the ashes in a metal can use only for fire pit ash storage. Careful, even after a few days the ashes are still hot enough to cause a fire.
10. Accidents happen, even with the correct preventative measures taken. Having a fire extinguisher nearby can greatly reduce the risk of the fire getting out of control.
If you have fire damage in your Hattiesburg/ MS Gulf Coast property, give us a call at 601-544-0512 or 228-467-4450! We are here 24/7 365 days to service the Greater Hattiesburg area and parts of the Mississippi Gulf Coast!