Mistakes after the Fire
I recently asked our crew members, who have responded to unlimited amounts of fire and water jobs, what the biggest make they have seen homeowners make, and how that impacts the extent of the damage.
Some of the responses I got were things that I never would have thought of. But here are some tips for homeowners to use!
- The number one mistake that our crew members mentioned was cooking in the kitchen and not paying close attention to the stove/oven. Grease fires/kitchen fires are one of the main sources of fire in homes, and can be deadly. When you are cooking, do not leave the kitchen!
- Another big mistake homeowners make is not calling a restoration company quickly. The longer the smoke/fire damage is in the home, and the longer the materials go without being attended to, the more severe the damage is going to be.
- Another big mistakes is running your A/C after a fire. Do not attempt to circulate air by running your A/C. This will only pull the smoke and soot through your ducts and cause further damage.
- Another big mistake is leaving items plugged into outlets. Phone chargers, air fresheners, etc. They should all be unplugged when you are not using them.
- Lastly, the biggest mistake our crew members mentioned was homeowners who decide to do it themselves. In this day of DIY popularity, everyone wants to jump on board and attempt to handle the restoration themselves. However, this can sometimes do more harm than good. When it comes to your home, let the professionals handle it.